Depending on the person, you either love the cooler weather, or hate it. Universally, there are days where you just want to be warm. Here are a few tips to help you save money on your electricity bill.
- Wear layers. Not running your heating units at all will save money most effectively.
- If you just need the extra warmth – space heaters. Space heaters can be more efficient than modern heating units. If you have a smaller room to heat, a smaller space heater will save you money and energy.
- Maintain your HVAC unit. Summers can be hard on your HVAC system. To ensure you won’t be surprised by your energy bill, this would be a good time to schedule a tune up of your heating units.
- Take advantage of your programmable or smart thermostat. When you are home and awake, set the thermostat to a comfortable temperature. When you are asleep or out, set your thermostat back about 10° for 8 hours. If you do this all year long, you can save about 10% a year. If you don’t yet have a programmable or smart thermostat, but are interested in getting one, you can save $50 here.
- Take advantage of natural heat. On sunny days, open your curtains and/or blinds and allow the sun to heat your home. Close them during the evening to reduce the opposite effect.
- Apply plastic wrap and tape to the inside of your draftier windows. It helps reduce infiltration of the cooler air and keep the heat inside.
- Double check your fireplace (if you have one). There is a damper in the fireplace that lets the smoke out of your house when you light it. Double check to make sure it’s sealed when you aren’t using it to prevent your warm air from escaping your home.
- Switch your fan blades rotation. Hot air rises so if you switch the rotation, it can actually push the heated air back at you.